The Most Delicious Food of Mediterranean Cuisine07/06/2021
Discovery of Falafel28/06/2021
The Mediterranean diet has been considered the healthiest diet in the world for many years. The phenomenon stems from the fact that people in the Mediterranean are living much longer than in other parts of the world. They are less prone to cardiovascular disease and cancer. The Mediterranean diet makes it easier to maintain a healthy weight. The Mediterranean diet is low in sugar, saturated fat, red meat, and highly processed foods. It’s high in vegetables, grain products, fish, olive oil, nuts, and many other healthy products. This type of food can be used in any other latitude without any problems. What are the characteristics of the Mediterranean diet, what does it protect against and how can its principles be effectively implemented? Mediterranean Food Catering
What is the Mediterranean Diet?
There is no such thing as a specific Mediterranean diet – Italians eat differently, Greeks eat differently, French eat differently or Spaniards eat differently. But there are some universal principles that link the way of eating in each of these countries. The Mediterranean diet is a lifestyle. In addition to a healthy diet, the premise is an active lifestyle. It was first described by Professor Ancel Keys in the 1960s, based on his observations of the eating habits of people in the Mediterranean.
The advantage of the Mediterranean diet is that it can be easily adapted to all conditions. You can find most of the recommended products at your local grocery store or supermarket. There are also many local products that are worth including in a healthy diet, such as: B. cold-pressed rapeseed oil, which is just as valuable as olive oil.
Mediterranean foods catering Mazalv restaurant offers you catering service. Please call us for our delicious Mediterranean dishes.
The food pyramid
To better understand the principles of the Mediterranean diet, they are presented in a simple, graphical form, namely the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid. It is very similar to the current pyramid for healthy eating published by the Institute of Food and Nutrition in Poland. Physical activity is at the base of the Mediterranean pyramid. The next floor is reserved for the plant-based products, which are the most important element of the menu. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, olive oil, legumes, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices – all of these products should be included in appropriate proportions in every meal. Fish and seafood can be on the menu about twice a week. The Mediterranean diet also allows the consumption of lean poultry, eggs, Cheese and yogurt, but in moderation. From time to time you can allow yourself to be leanEating red meat or a small serving of something sweet, but that shouldn’t become a habit. The pyramid also takes into account the need to drink water frequently and also allows dry wine to be consumed in moderation.
The Mediterranean Diet, principles – how to implement?
The availability of foods characteristic of the Mediterranean diet is widespread today, which makes it easier to use them even in our climatic zone. To follow the principles of the Mediterranean Food Pyramid, observe the following rules:
- use olive oil (or cold-pressed rapeseed oil) as the main source of fat in your diet,
- use olive oil (or cold-pressed canola oil) as the main source of fat in your diet and add a variety of plant foods from different food groups – vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts,
- Eat whole grain bread and other whole grain cereal products (pasta, brown rice) every day
- avoid highly processed products, use fresh, locally produced food whenever possible,
- choose lean dairy products, preferably fermented drinks (yogurt, buttermilk) and cottage cheese,
- Eat red meat and cold cuts in small quantities, eat fish twice a week, choose fruit instead of sweets for dessert,
- if you want to include red wine in your diet – drink it in moderation and only with meals.
The secret to successful healthy eating is to take a moment during the day to plan and prepare your meals. You can also use Catch a Box’s healthy food delivery service. If you’re looking for a program that comes as close as possible to the Mediterranean Diet, choose our DASH program – it has a lot in common with the Mediterranean Diet and is low in sodium, making it ideal for people with high blood pressure. We provide Mediterranean Food catering service.
Remember that if you have a healthy diet, you can also eat out every now and then. Go to an Italian or Greek restaurant. Take someone with you. Start your meal with a salad or opt for an extra helping of vegetables. Choose your favorite pasta and share the meal – order a dish for two.
The Effects of a Healthy Mediterranean Diet
Thanks to its high content of antioxidants and monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, a Mediterranean diet has powerful anti-inflammatory effects, protecting the body from free radical damage. This is important for the treatment of many diseases of civilization.
Healthy eating the Mediterranean way – what are the advantages and disadvantages? It is difficult to speak of disadvantages in this case, because many scientific studies show that the Mediterranean menu has a very positive effect on health. About this type of diet, we can safely say that it is ideal for most people. This is evidenced by its many advantages. We provide Mediterranean Food catering service
Health Effects of the Mediterranean Diet
- helps in weight loss and in the treatment of obesity
- has a positive influence on the length of life in good health,
- protects against many chronic diseases,
- lowers the level of “bad” cholesterol,
- protects against cardiovascular diseases, including atherosclerosis and ischemic heart disease,
- reduces the risk of certain types of cancer,
- prevents the development of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes,
- protects against neurodegenerative diseases – Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s,
- improves the condition of patients struggling with autoimmune diseases,
- has a positive effect on eye health,
- reduces the risk of tooth decay and other dental diseases,
- has a positive effect on fertility improvement.
What’s the best way to eat Mediterranean?
The following table lists products that can be found in the Mediterranean diet. The menu should be based on vegetables, especially leafy green vegetables. Use the following list to inspire you with your recipes. We provide Mediterranean Food catering service
The Mediterranean diet – the products
Food group examples of foods recommended for the Mediterranean diet:
- Vegetables savoy cabbage, kale, cauliflower, beetroot, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, carrots, celery, parsley, leek, tomatoes, chicory, lettuce, cucumbers, aubergines, onions, peppers, potatoes, spinach, sweet potatoes, fennel, artichokes, asparagus, Pumpkin as well as mushrooms and olives
- Legumes beans, soybeans, lentils, chickpeas, peas
- Cereal products Rye and whole wheat bread, buckwheat, barley and millet groats, quinoa, bulgur groats, couscous, oat flakes, barley, wheat, buckwheat, millet, brown and wild rice, maize porridge
- Fruits avocado, apples, apricots, cherries, mandarins, dates, figs, grapefruit, grapes, lemon, melon, nectarines, peaches, oranges, pears, pomegranate
- Nuts and seeds Almonds, cashews, walnuts and peanuts, pistachios, pine nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, flax seeds
- Herbs and spices Basil, bay leaf, cloves, caraway seeds, garlic, marjoram, mint, oregano, parsley, dill, pepper, rosemary, sage, allspice, tarragon, thyme
- Fish and seafood rainbow trout, salmon, mackerel, sardines, tuna, shrimp, octopus, squid, clams, oysters
- Dairy products yogurt, kefir, buttermilk, quark, ricotta and cheese feta, halloumi, parmesan, camembert, but in small quantities